A cheques is an important bank document which is used to make payments and exchange funds between people and two different accounts. Filling up of cheques and demand drafts A cheques book is issued by a bank to a valid account holder along with the welcome kit, when a new account is opened.
Follow these steps to correctly fill up a cheque.
- Fill in the date. This is called the date of issue. Mention the correct date in the top right column. It is day, month and year in figures. A cheques once issued is valid for the next 3 months.
Note – Sometimes, is a cheques may require a future date to written on it. Such a cheque is called a postdated cheque (PDC) . This means that the cheque cannot be cashed until that day. People tend o
- Write the name of the person / company (Payee) you want to address the cheque to.
- Note- Make sure you spell the name in the same way as it appears on the beneficiary’s account . If the name does not match, the cheques will not be valid for Payment.
- It is advisable to strike out ”or bearer” at the end of the ”payee” line
- Note : This will ensure that the cheque is encashed only to the person it is addressed to and not to just anyone who holds it…
- Write the amount to be paid in works along the ”Rupees” column. Strike a line after you fill in the amount in order to prevent any alteration.
- Rewrite the exact same amount in figures within the adjacent box.
Note : Say to pay a sum of 1000 Rupees, write One Thousand only (in words); 1000/ – (in Figures) in the box..
- Put your signature above your name to authorize the transaction. This should be the same or closest likeness of the signature Specimen you have submitted to your bank while opening your account..
- The name and account number of the holder is usually already printed on the cheque leaf. If it is not carefully write your name in BLOCK letters and enter your Account Number in the designated box.
- Mark out two parallel lines with “Account Payee only ” written in the middle, on the top left corner of the cheque . This is called “Crossing out a Cheque”
Note :- This means our cheque will be paid into the account of the person being paid and not to the person holding the cheque or payment at the counter . Follow this carefully to direct the amount transfer into the account of the right Payee. It is an important step to safeguard your Money….
- To cancel a cheque mark “CANCEL” in hold across the face of the cheque and if possible, inform the bank officials or mark a note of the cheque number and record it as cancelled. You should also mutilate the MICR code of your cancelled cheque or shred the whole cheque.You should additionally scratch out your signature on the cheque..
A Demand Draft
- On reaching the branch get a Demand Draft / Banker’s Cheque Application Form from the customer Help Desk Counter. It will look like the application form in the illustration above..
- Fill in the Application Form, according to the Guidelines Given below.
Main Form on right side, circled in Red
- Name of the Branch you are currently applying to for the Demand Draft.
- Put a Trick mark on the Draft option to select it, since this is a dual form for Bankers Cheque too.
- Write the current date..
- As per WPC guidelines, the DD is to be made in favour of “PAO (HQ), DoT, New Delhi”
- Fill in the amount [in words] for which you have to make the DD.For Grade I license it Rs.100 and for Grade II license it is Rs.60. Please verify the amount as per current rules, before filling it in.
- At the “Payable At” field, fill in “New Delhi”
- At the “Payable At Branch” field , fill in “Service”
- The application signature comes here.
- Write down your Full Name and Residential address (preferably how it appears in your ASOC Application Form)
- Fill un the Amount of DD ( Either Rs.60 / 100 as per requirement) and Fill n the Exchange / Commission Amount ( Rs . 30 for amount below 10,000 as per http://www.statebankofindia.com/user.htm). Total it up in the Total field
- Signature of the receiver comes here. You may sign here beforehand,axcept if another person will be collecting it on your behalf..
Fill in the Counter Foil on the left side of the form, circled in Orange :
- Write the current date.
- Write down your Full Name as it appears on the main form.
- As per WPC guidelines, the DD is to be made in favour of ” PAO (HQ),Dot, New Delhi”
- At the “Payable At / Branch” fields, fill in “Service Branch, New Delhi”
- Fill in the amount (in words) for which you have to make he DD. As per the new amendment, for General or Restricted Grade license, the fee is Rs… 1000 for 20 years or Rs. 2000 for Lifetime License . Please verify the amount as per current rules , before filling it in.
- Fill in the Amount on the DD (Either Rs.. 1000/2000 as per requirement) and Fill in the Exchange / Commission Amount ( Rs. 30 for amounts below 10,000 as per http://www.statebankofindia.com/user.htm) Total it up in the Total field ………….
- Submit this application form at the appropriate window. Your Demand Drafts will be printed within 30 minutes and given to you..